Monday, February 28, 2011

Buying Local

There is a lot of talk going around about living local and the buying local movement. I can't help but ask myself, is this realistic or even possible. As we live in an ever growing global community, purchasing things we need at a price that we can "actually" afford is difficult. And by "actually," I mean living within our means. Sure, maybe every once in a while we can splurge to buy that delicious $6.00 goat cheese at the farmer's market and the $8.00 savory garlic and roasted red pepper baked bread, but is it feasible to actually live like this all the time?


This past Christmas, I challenged myself to purchase gifts (or make gifts) that were from local vendors or artisans. I made it about half way through November and finally gave up, that some things you just can't buy locally.


Despite all of my thoughts, someone introduced me to the 3/50 project...which I believe is a very powerful way to look at this whole live local movement. The basic concept is this:



Here on the Cape Fear Coast, we have a similar local initiative called Buy Local ILM. I struggle to figure out what they actually do as a nonprofit, besides just advocating for businesses, but I do feel like the initiative is a good one. What are your thoughts, is it feasible? Does it make sense? Is there anything like this in your neck of the woods? What would you spend your $50 on?

I think the three businesses I couldn't live without might be (okay....maybe four):

1 comment:

  1. I think about living local a lot too. I try to buy at local stores, but with my limited salary it's really difficult. Instead, my way of living local has been to eat at non-chain restaurants and attend concerts at local venues like OSU. I know it's not the same as buying clothes and jewelry from a boutique or groceries from farmer's markets (although I do try to attend the weekend ones during the summer season), but it's something... The 3/$50 is an interesting concept. I like it.

    That being said, I don't think it's realistic for most families who have low incomes. Buying local, similar to buying fresh fruits and vegetables, is a luxury in the US afforded to those with money and the time to shop at multiple stores.

    ReplyDelete