Friday, December 2, 2011

Movie Reviews

 As of late, there are a ton of movies on my list to watch. Without Netflix or a more expensive cable package, I’m limited to what Redbox has to offer these days (which is not so bad.) Despite the recent increase in move rental prices on redbox (up from $1.00 to $1.20), I will graciously accept the cheap fare to watch a movie. Still much better than the $11.00 to go see a movie in the theater. In Wilmington, we are fortunate to have multiple venues to see movies on the cheap including the recent movie festival, Cucalorus as well as the on-campus theater that offers $2.00 movie fare. Recently I have been watching LOTS of movies, with the cold weather moving from my comfy and warm bed in the evenings takes more energy that I  would like to give. Here are some movies that I have watched recently –

Crazy Stupid Love – My roommate and I almost bit the bullet and paid to see this movie in the theater. However, our lack of motivation in actually paying the $11.00 forced us a save it for another day. I picked this one up at Redbox as I am a big fan of Steve Carroll and Ryan Gosling (ummm, yes they were wrong about 2011 sexiest man of the year and here is why). Overall this movie was GREAT – 4 ½ stars in my book. It was all things you look for in a light-hearted Tuesday night movie – funny, cute – wait, maybe I am just describing Ryan Gosling. Ahhhh, well it was a beautifully told story of caring and forgiveness and the beauty of love and family.

Kumare – This movie was at the top of my list for the Cucalorus film festival and definitely lived up to its expectation. My dear friend Erin accompanied me to the screening of this movie at Thalian Hall. When I first heard about the movie I thought it was going to be about a really weird guy who changed his identity to get people to follow him on his path to spirituality. Well, it turns out, it was - but in the most humorous, enlightening way. I LOVED THIS MOVIE. 5 stars from me. I sincerely recommend it to anyone who is interested in a motivational story about finding one's self and where to look to do such a thing. It did not hurt that the movie was HILARIOUS too!

The Future – Having a little bit of a lady crush on Miranda July for the better part of the last five years. She is my creative inspiration. I had to check out this movie. Within the first 5 minutes I was totally creeped out and have decided that Miranda’s work is becoming a little to quirky for me. Not sure if it's her work or me getting older. The opening scene is a shot of a cat’s legs, one broken, while the cat is talking about being in the darkness and hoping that someone will take it home to care for it. We all know how I feel about cats and just the fact that it was talking was enough for me. I continued to watch the movie – while multi-tasking – as I couldn’t give it my full attention. I give this 1 ½ stars. Not worth watching but I give Miranda the benefit of the doubt as she is a brilliant creative artist. I am just not into this kind of work I guess.

So, what movies do you recommend? Up next on my list are – J. Edgar; The Muppets; finally jumping on the Harry Potter bandwagon; Extremely Close and Incredibly Loud; Circumstance; The Lemon Tree; The Pool; Four Months, Three Days, and Two Hours (Thanks Linda for the foreign film recommendations!)

2 comments:

  1. count me in to accompany you to movies you want to critique. I'd give the muppets 4 starts personally. I'll bring a notepad and wear my glasses next time to really get into the movie critic role

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren! You are totally in - maybe we should do a monthly movie review and talk about like a book club but a movie club :)

    ReplyDelete