Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What does N G O stand for?

I feel like I've climbed Mt. Everest since I first took to plunge and applied for the Peace Corps. At first many people asked, what is that Peace Corps? Where are you going (which......I still don't have the answer to....)? How long will you be going? What will you be doing? And, what is the Peace Corps again? 

As it's been four years since I first applied and a year and a half since being actively involved in the second time around, it makes my heart soar for Peace Corps to finally be a common topic for many of my family and friends. Although I know it still leaves them puzzled sometimes as to why I'd want to give up my super comfy bed, my sweet digs downtown, a good job, and the comfort of being close to people that I know and love to go someone where I don't know anyone, can't speak the language, and may sleep in a 10' x 10' mud hut in the middle of no where - I think we've all come a long way.

Despite how far we've come, I still get questions - mostly - what will you be doing and what is an NGO? NGO stands for Non Governmental Organization. These are the organizations that help solve problems innate civic problems, fill in the gaps of what the private sector and government can't fill, and connect with community in ways that no other sector can. For us in the United States, NGOs are equivalent to what you might know as the non-profit sector. Although the scope and scale of NGOs may be different in a developing country the concept is the same.

NGOs, in the U.S. and abroad, often lack the time and resources to build their capacity and expand their impact. NGOs historically exist because their is a need that needs to be noticed, a void that needs to filled, or a problem that needs to be solved. Peace Corps, for the few NGOs in the countries where Peace Corps is located, can serve as a resource to help expand human impact where resources are needed. And I can't wait to be a part of it :)

I am so excited for my job nomination. I really couldn't ask for a better fit as I've spent the greater part of the last three years getting my Master's in Public Administration with a focus in Nonprofit Management (and Environmental Policy). I can't wait to put all those enthralling strategic planning classes with Dr. Laurie Paarlberg to good use! 

What NGOs do you know or work with in the U.S. that can make an impact on your community?

No comments:

Post a Comment