Thursday, December 29, 2011

What's something you should never waste?

What is something you should never waste? Another blog I follow {Happiness Is...} hosts a weekly question to ponder. This particular question challenged me and I wanted to take a shot at answering for you. I would love to hear your answer back (insert plea for people to comment on posts so that I know you're out there!!).

There is an Emerson quote hanging in my office that connects the dots between this question and my outlook on life in a pretty little sign - it states - Live in the sunshine, Swim in the sea, Drink the wild air. For me, the things I believe we should never waste are unique natural and social experiences. These experiences could be the tipping point in one's life or something that you may never get to share with anyone again. And for me, that's what life is about.

I have many moments that I know have shaped who I am on many different levels. Some good experiences, some bad - but all unique and I wouldn't want to take any of them away. Some experiences have challenged my ability to understand goodwill in people, others have shined a light on how much care and thoughtfulness a person can have. To have seen both sides creates a balance for me in a world of good and evil.

Nature has always been a draw for me as well. Experiencing natural phenomena in our lifetime is a gentle reminder of how much larger this world is than ourselves and the incredible amount of power behind it. I remember as a kid growing up in rural Maryland, my mom used to wake my brother and I up late in the night to watch meteor showers or when I started diving, seeing large schools of fish swim by in a hurry. These experiences have instilled a respect for the environment that I hope I can empower in others.

It's important to me to continue to experience things and never stop wanting to learn something new or try something I've never tried before. These are the things that make us who we are and connect us to others and empower to do things that are bigger than ourselves. It's unfortunate for me that I am a terrible story teller as one day I hope to have so many stories to tell. These stories are the things we should never waste.


No comments:

Post a Comment