Friday, December 9, 2011

A Few Things I Love About Wilmington

I've lived in this town for almost seven years. I can't believe it. When I first moved here I thought I'd only be here for 2 years, tops! I moved here to finish my undergraduate degree. I loved the university. I loved being near the beach. I loved the quaint historic downtown. I loved the small town feel. All in all - I really like being here. So seven years,  two degrees, and six jobs later - this town has taught me some amazing things. I'd like to pay my respects to that by offering a few things that I love about Wilmington.

I love walking down the street and always seeing at least one person that I know - never fails. Small town life is golden.

Beach options. I love that Wilmington offers options as to what kind of beach you'd like to go to. Feeling social and like you can fit in with all the size 2 teens in their bikinis - go to Wrightsville Beach! Want to try out surf fishing in the morning with all the gray hairs - go to Fort Fisher. Feel like enjoying the sound of families laughing and watching children build sand castles - go to Kure Beach! Feel like making a bet with your friend on the number of mullets you'll see - go to Carolina Beach. I love options!

Food. When my friends from Towson came down to visit a few years ago they deemed Wilmington food capital of the world. Since they grew up around Columbia, MD - which I believe is the chain restaurant capital of the world, I feel like their words say a lot. Wilmington is overrun with independently run restaurants and they are soooo amazing.

Homeless people. If you live in Wilmington and ever frequent downtown - you know at least one homeless man by name (probably Byron...). I happen to know a few. There is the gentlemen, who I think is homeless by choice, that loves to tease my dog at the park. And there is the one that walks down Market St. talking to himself and violently waving his hands, then there is the drunkard that walks around harassing people downtown. Wilmington is quite the home for a homeless person - perhaps its due to our overwhelming amount of nonprofits that offer assistance or perhaps its just due to the wonderful location.

Weather. Can't beat 70 degrees during the month of Christmas. I can't believe I wore shorts and flip flops to watch the football game this past Sunday.

The fast paced northern feel with a little southern hospitality all its own. Wilmington is sectored off from any large city and has really adopted a culture all its own. With so many northerners (myself included) infiltrating, Wilmington offers a good combination of both.

So much creativity, so little time. I am constantly impressed with the number of creative people in this town - it's probably suppressed my own hopes of actually successfully selling some of the things I've made over the years. With art shows and workshops almost every day of the week - the artistic community here does not disappoint.

All in all, I love Wilmington. Although I still consider Maryland home and hope to go back there one day - I don't discount all that Wilmington has to offer. If Wilmington's job market ever perks up I would highly recommend this place as a great place for people of all ages!

Peace, Love, and Weekends!



No comments:

Post a Comment