Friday, December 16, 2011

The Art of Letter Writing

If you have known me for any amount of time, you probably already know how much I love writing letters (and receiving letters). My best friend will tell you that when we were in 5th grade (or somewhere around there) I wrote her a letter for every day that she was gone on vacation. She recently reminded me of my letters and it amazes me how long I have truly appreciated the art of letter writing. Letter writing for me is a time to organize my thoughts and feelings, construct them on paper, and express them to another. With life spinning so fast, it takes a deliberate action to sit down, process, and write for a short amount of time and one that doesn't happen often enough.

This NY Times Op-Ed sums up my feelings towards letter writing much more woefully than my own words can describe. An excerpt from this article that particularly speaks to me:
A good handwritten letter is a creative act, and not just because it is a visual and tactile pleasure. It is a deliberate act of exposure, a form of vulnerability, because handwriting opens a window on the soul in a way that cyber communication can never do. You savor their arrival and later take care to place them in a box for safe keeping.
And yes, I save every letter or card or quick note that someone leaves me. I like to look back at moments captured in time and space through these letters to remind me of the amazing people that have been a part of my life.


I recently stumbled upon this stop motion video of a miniature letter writing set. I wonder if I can find some use for something like this because it's absolutely adorable.





World's Smallest Post Service Kit - An Introduction from Leafcutter Designs on Vimeo.

Please also listen to this beautiful song that fits so perfectly -

Peace, Love, & Awesomeness!

Sami

No comments:

Post a Comment