Monday, April 11, 2011

Government Shutdown...

I have to admit, I haven't really been following all of this government shutdown hub bub. I know I'm a public administration student and I'm SUPPOSED to know all this stuff, but no ones perfect! However, I did find some interesting information about the Peace Corps protocol in case of a government shutdown.

In summary, the Peace Corps will keep all current volunteers in country (as it is cheaper to keep them in rural Africa...or whereever....on $15.00/day than fly each of them home at $2,000/flight). Current headquarters staff will be furloughed until further notice. And, now for the sad news: Any stagings scheduled for 3 weeks after the beginning of a government shutdown should be continued. All other stagings will be considered on a case-by-case basis....AND...suspended Peace Corps activities include recruitment, selection and placement of new volunteers.

Ok, ok...I'm breathing again. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that a government shutdown doesn't happen (not just for my sake, but for the sake of all U.S. citizens). Peace, Love, and Aweswomeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment