Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Peace Corps Update

Since I haven't updated on the Peace Corps recently...I thought a "where I am now and what is left to do" post is appropriate.

I found out last week that a friend of mine that I traveled to India with was finally medically cleared for the Peace Corps (goooo Lauren!!). Since she is rearing to go at any moment she is just waiting on her placement in a program teaching English. I'm so excited for her!

On the other hand, I'm a little further back in the process. Since I restricted myself to the inability to leave before November 1st I have to wait until programs become available to know antyhing. Currently on the PCWiki page they have program staging dates up for September but none for any later than that. As soon as a program opens up for either Community Development or Small Business (the programs my experience and skillset match up with) after October, I will hopefully hear about a nomination.

So here are my next steps for those of you who are new to this whole thing...
1. Nomination for a region and program (hopefully by June/July)
2. Start reading every blog available for the region you are nominated for
2. Medical and Legal Clearance
3. Invitation (typically 6-8 weeks out from departure date)
4. I'm OFF!!

So that's it! I can't wait to know a little bit more information but the Peace Corps is a waiting game. In the meantime I'll just fill my (and yours) brain with dreams of distant shores.

No comments:

Post a Comment