Monday, May 2, 2011

Meeting Rosie D.

Today I had the opportunity to share lunch with the Chancellor (Rosie D., if you didn't know) of my university along with other students who excel in leadership and public service. So many inspirational people in one room, and I got to sit there along with them. What a great way to end out my last few days of graduate school. The luncheon was help for those of us who participated in a program called, Chancellor's Challenge, where you document all the leadership and public service activities that you participate in throughout the year. If you reach a certain number of points, you get the opportunity to share lunch with the Chancellor.

I was a little nervous about the opportunity thinking that most thing like this end up being pretty awkward, but Rosie really proved me wrong. She was really willing to hear what we all had to say, answered questions about our concerns with the university, looked for our input towards making the university more public service centered, and told us stories about the history surrounding my university.

It was all in all, quite a delightful experience. I told her that I was concerned about the amount of recognition that graduate students receive in comparison to undergraduates, I felt having been both at this university I was qualified to say something about it. Also, we discussed some of the budget issues and how we feel it in the classroom. It is so important for the chancellor to take the time to meet with student leaders on campus to talk about things like that as it is a new viewpoint she probably does not hear very often.

I was proud to share my next steps in life in joining the Peace Corps. There really couldn't be a better group of people on campus to share this information with as the Peace Corps is quite an esteemed service opportunity that most don't have the will to take on.

As I finish up my last few projects and wait to turn them in, I'll reflect on opportunities like this, where I really felt like my voice was heard.

Peace, Love, and Awesomeness!

No comments:

Post a Comment