Thursday, May 26, 2011

I knew I was in Germany when...

I have arrived in Germany! Despite some complications with my flight due to my own stupidity leaving the States, I arrived with ease! I flew straight in to Frankfurt and took a train to Bonn, Germany. I hadn't planned my train travel from Frankfurt to Bonn and was delighted to see how easy it was to book the ticket and hop on the rail!! Once arriving in Bonn, I walked around for about thirty minutes trying to find the office of the school we were at...turned out I walked by it about ten times. A nice gentleman by the name of Boris - I knew I was in Germany when...the guys name was Boris.... - took me to our hostel. All of my classmates were sitting around ready to go explore the city. I dropped down my bags and joined them for my first taste of Germany!! We went to the supermarket to purchase breakfast and lunch items for the next week or so, went out to dinner near the Universite', and went to a biergarten on the Rhine River, enjoyed the sites and good beer!!

I don't have many pictures yet, so I'll humor you with some of my first experiences in Germany:

-Even the shopping cart requires a downpayment. Most things cost money for temporary use including a pint at the pub or the shopping cart at the grocery store. You pay 1 Euro to be able to use the glass while you are drinking your beer, then you get the Euro back when your finished with your glass.

-When walking around comtemplating whether you should ask for help with directions, just ask, nine times out of ten they already know you are lost.

-It's true all the furniture in Germany is straight out of Ikea.

-I've already seen at least three castles and they all seemingly grow out of the ground. Epic.

-Little hot dogs at the grocery store are called Smiley Dots.

-What do Germans recommend as the best food to eat you wonder? Italian.

That's all I have for my first ten hours in Germany but hopefully tomorrow I'll have some pictures to share :)

Peace, Love, and Awesomeness!

No comments:

Post a Comment