Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Medical Packet Received.

As any Peace Corps applicant may know, the best thing to wake up to in the morning is an email from PC saying "Application Status Update" !! Having sent in my medical packet on the 3rd of September after becoming the most immune person in North America, I have been waiting for an update since then. Seeing as I'm not set to leave until June 2012 I know, and have prepared myself for, this to be the longest and most agonizing part of the process. (Insert Restless Applicant Syndrome (RAS) Here). Even my status update prepared me for such -- "Peace Corps received the results of your physical exam on September 12, 2011. If the program you are nominated for is not scheduled to leave in the next 4 months you may not hear from Medical until the time of departure is closer. Currently those programs scheduled to leave in the next 4 months are being reviewed. For applicants leaving within 4 months Peace Corps may request additional medical information. Please respond quickly to these requests."

So now is the waiting game. Fortunately I'm in the best position possible with a great job, supportive friends and family, an opportunity to save some money before I go, and lots and lots of patience.

I've been fortunate to be able to talk to an old friend quite a bit and he has been a huge support through this process. My friend Josh (check out his blog -- eatingwatermelonseeds.wordpress.com) is serving in Peace Corps Kenya and really loving it. Josh and I applied at about the same time, so I'm super jealous that he is in country already and I'm still waiting and wishing. I've had the fortune to be able to talk to him about once a month so he can give me real time updates on what Peace Corps life is like. His statements - Peace Corps isn't for the faint of heart. Which I already knew.But he loves it!! The camaraderie, the challenges, the new experiences, the beauty of the people and places, are all well worth it.

I'll continue to keep you posted as more updates come along!!!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! I guess you won't be leaving at least in this next 4 months anyway...phew! just kidding....I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete