Friday, June 3, 2011

Language

Today while wondering aimlessly through the interconnected streets of Bonn my half day-dreaming self was interrupted as I stopped at different vendors of the open market. "Bitte Nien!" yelled the gentleman in front of me along with a string of other words that were incomprehensable to my American ear. Fortunately I know what the first two words mean, "Please, No!" but the rest was another story. I was picking up fruit from the stand that I thought was ripe, but apparently that is a faux pas and the nice looking gentlemen will yell at you if you do that. I found that as I walked around by myself, the language barrier, is easily the hardest obstacle you'll have to cross before you are ever integrated into a culture. Even ordering Chicken Nuggets with French Fries at McDonalds was difficult as the lady became flustered not knowing how to tell me that it'll be a two minute wait.

Since we had the day off today, I decided that I desperately needed a hair cut as the different water is not doing very well for my hair. I walked in to three different places and asked, "Sprechen sie Englisch?" The first said a little, which in my understanding translates to I know how to say "Yes" and "No" in English and that's it. The second responded with an exorbitant price that couldn't be correct, I assume she was trying to exploit me. At the third store, I overhead the owner speaking in English to another person so I went up to him and asked if they cut hair, he said "Yes!" SUCCESS!! However, the lady that actually ended up cutting my hair in the short knew not a single word of English....dang. I managed to get my hair cut though with out her chopping it all off or dying it purple without us ever saying a single word in the others language.

I have found that for the most part Germans know English. At least young people know English or are willing to humor you with testing out their English. I am so appreciative of this. I can't imagine a German or anyone from another country walking around the United States asking people if they spoke .  That would be crazy. This fact is one reason that I am happy to be from the United States and have English as my first language.

We have learned a few words in order to get around. I'll give you a little German lesson:

Gutentag! - Good Day! (Although most people say Hallo!)
Wie gaht's? - How are you?
Gud, und du? - Good, and you?
Sprechen sie Englisch? - Do you know English?
Entschuldigung - Excuse Me
Ich Bin... - I am...
Ich verstehe nicht. - I don't understand
Bitte - Please/Thank You
Nien - No
Ja! - Yes
Danke - Thank you
Bis Bald! - See you soon

This is about all I know...along with the names of the train stations that I use. How did you do?

Peace, Love, and Schnitzel!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE it! We take so many of our behaviors for granted that everyone does just like us....NOT!!! Glad you are "mastering" the German language. I expect you will be fluent in Italian too, huh....hehehe

    ReplyDelete