Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Advice? From who? Me?

I have been approached by an undergraduate professor of mine to give an hour long presentation about how to navigate life after college. Hmmmm, I am no expert, that is for sure, but who is?  I have had my ups and downs and have been on the wandering road for the past five years since I graduated from undergrad. I've held about seven different jobs, dabbled in my own entrepreneurial endeavors, traveled through seven different countries, obtained a master's degree, and managed to maintain  a stable level of sanity and focus. I guess that is just my own life's course. The experience is giving me a great opportunity to reflect on where I have been and where I am going from here even though I don't fully know that answer yet.

I must admit, I'm a little bit humbled by the fact that anyone thinks I'm actually capable of giving solid, useful advice to a bunch of soon to be college graduates, or that I can even stand in front of a class for an hour without vomiting.

I am starting my presentation planning with a little project asking all my friends and co-workers (and you...) the following question:
If you could go back in time and tell your last-semester-of-college self one piece of advice, what would it be? 
Easy enough. I have already had some funny responses like - fail every class, push off graduation and consume all my family's wealth to avoid post college graduation depression for as long as possible

...and some sappy ones like - savor every moment because these are the good times
...and some quality advice like - get an internship; never say no to an experience as you might learn a new skill or meet someone who could change your course

I will take them all. My goal is to collect a list of these responses and give it to the students. Simply to prove that everyone's course is different, and really, let's be honest, who am I to give these students any type of advice. I am trying to get the presentation recorded, not only so I can wallow in my own vanity - but also to share it with you for your own amusement as well.

Any advice you can offer or suggestions on topics are welcomed and appreciated!

Peace, Love, and Awesomeness.

2 comments:

  1. Never underestimate the power of relationships. They are your social capital, so it's important to make connections when you can because you never know if or when a person will be important in your life again. Also, make an attempt to speak with a financial advisor. -Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learn how to hold a conversation with a complete stranger and try to talk about more than the weather. Not only is this great practice to think through what you want to do with your life and what you're passionate about so you can respond to those inevitable questions, but it forces you out of your comfort zone while improving your skills with things such as quick thinking, casual communication, networking, and teaches you the importance of staying up on the news and current events.

    ReplyDelete